How we use and protect information.
Who We Are and What This Policy Covers
We are a people and culture development company. Our purpose is to re-humanize the workplace and beyond. We develop people and the places people work through coaching, training, consulting, facilitation, speaking and online resources.
Our websites are: StartHuman.co and StartHuman.com
Our services are listed on our website.
External website and applications that we use for our work include: eventbrite.com, surveymonkey.com, mailchimp.com and https://forms.office.com.
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a business reason for doing so. Examples may include
We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through our services, and from outside sources.
Let’s go over the information we collect.
Information You Provide to Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Email communications: We ask for your name, email address, interests with StartHuman, your role and organization via MailChimp, feedback forms, our program rosters or other contact forms. This information is used to send you our newsletter as well as other communications via MailChimp. We use MailChimp for program communications as well so that we can track engagement.
- Discovery sessions: We require an email address in order to request a discovery session with us. We provide other fields that are optional. This allows us to follow up with you.
- Event transactions: When you sign up for an event with us, your registration and payment is processed through Eventbrite.com. We use this information solely for the purpose of event communications.
- Feedback: We ask for feedback using https://forms.office.com and https://surveymonkey.com.
- Program information: We ask you to provide us with information when you participate in programs with us which may include biographies, completion of assessments, completion of surveys/studies. This information is used solely for the purpose of advancing program objectives. That information is shared with StartHuman team members who are involved in program delivery or administration. We do not share identifying information with program sponsors, unless we have your permission ahead of time. We do summarize data anonymously to report on program progress and outcomes.
- Communications With Us: You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys or contact us via an email link on our website. Some information is optional, some is required.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Location Information from Email Campaigns: MailChimp determines the approximate location of your device from your IP address. This allows MailChimp to provide us with approximate information about where—regionally—our subscribers are located.
- Information from Cookies: A cookie is a string of information that a website stores on a visitor’s computer, and that the visitor’s browser provides to the website each time the visitor returns. We use Google Analytics to track site usage, which relies on cookies. We use Google Analytics to help us identify and track visitors, usage, and access preferences for our Services.
- Location Information from Surveys: SurveyMonkey determines the approximate location of your device from your IP address.
How And Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To send you our newsletters
- To send you information you requested about upcoming events
- To support program tracking and measurement
- To complete the registration process for an event or training or program
- To complete purchases and process refunds.
- To change, improve, or add Services based on your needs.
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of StartHuman and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of our Services;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, with articles, upcoming events, offers and promotions offered by StartHuman and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on StartHuman and our news, industry news, products, and services.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that: (1) The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you (2) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or (3) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or (4) We have a legitimate interest in using your information–for example, to provide and update our Services, to improve our Services to provide a better experience for you, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our services and advertising, and better understand customer retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience; or (5) You have given us your consent.
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information. We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of StartHuman, third parties, or the public at large.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you.
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it–which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information–and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our Services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
You have choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you are on our newsletter list, you can choose not to provide the optional account information. You can choose not to fill in optional information on forms.
- Unsubscribe from our MailChimp list: You can unsubscribe via a link at the bottom of any email. You can also email us at any time at email@example.com to unsubscribe from our list.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make any of the above requests. EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Controllers and Responsible Companies
StartHuman’s Services are available worldwide. StartHuman, Inc., a U.S. based company, is the controller.
StartHuman, 140 Washington Street, Suite 200; Reno, NV 89503.
How to Reach Us
Other Things To Know
Ads and Analytics Services Provided by Others
Source of Policy